Monday, December 6, 2010

{Different Strokes for Different Folks}

I feel like I am pretty wordly, but since Ellie has started school, I am seeing more and more that I may actually live in a little bubble of sorts.  The kids have gone to school where I work all of their lives.  We beat our little path from the University to "the Sticks" every day.  On weekends, we go to church with people we have known several years and Biz and Tim, of course.

Socially, we have friends we've known for years, people we work with and of course neighbors.  And there's always family.  As evidenced this summer, I spend a large amount of my social time with my family.  My peeps.  Those who know all about me and love me, and mine, just the same.

So now Ellie has started school and we are  presented with new interactions with new people and new interests. And new ideas.  And for the record, I have always known these ideas were present, it's just that I haven't put myself or my family in situations with people who share these ideas because they are not common ideas.

This past Friday, I had a meeting with some other moms from Ellie's classroom to plan the "Holiday Party".  Now, just don't get me started on that term.  Because really, ya'll?  Really?  I don't hear anyone complaining about all the benefits of this "holiday" season.  But let's be real.  The "holiday" is CHRISTMAS.  The birth of my Lord.  OK?  Ok.  Like I said, I don't intend to rant.

So while at this little planning party, all the moms got to talking and a certain book came up.  One of the other moms was talking about this book and how horrible it was and she was telling us "DON'T buy it!"

So, I just listened.  (I really just listened!)  And she went on to tell that the book was about a moose and his adventures.  That other woodland creatures move into his antlers and on and on.  And then...are you sitting down?  Well, then there's a hunter.  With a gun.  (Not a slingshot or anything, a GUN.)  And the hunter wants to kill the moose.

I've heard that's what hunters do.  That's just what I heard...

So this mom goes on and on and on about how horrible the book was... and how she apologized to her daughter for buying it... and she had no idea what it was about... and that she never would have bought it... and how it was HORRIBLE.  Alrighty...

And I just sat quietly.

Because this is a picture of my living room:


And my kid has been known to wear this.

(Look at that smile.)

And in general, I am not passionate about convincing people who don't hunt that they need to.  I actually don't even try to convince people who won't eat venison that they should.  Because I really don't care.

The thing that got under my skin about the interaction was the idea that everyone at that table felt the same way this other mom did.  Because I don't.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that if it the subject comes up among Ellie's friends, she will think they have three heads when they say "hunting is bad"  "guns are bad"  or "killing animals is bad".

And to complete my rant.  Oh wait, did I say I wouldn't rant?  Well, let me complete it anyway.

To complete my rant, I just wonder if my family would be viewed as the "backwards", "closed minded" family.  Because guess what, ya'll?  It's not the case.  Well, not for me.

As I said, I do not care if this mom wants to feed her kid rubberbeans and grass.  Or seaweed and pondroots.  Just don't assume that everyone you are talking to feels the same way you do.  Because that, my dear friends, is closed-minded.

I think I'll email that mom and suggest she arrange to give Ellie that book for their classroom gift swap at the Christmas party! Cause, really, we would kinda love that book at our house!

BUT, but...here's where it kind of took me back...I kept my mouth shut.  Because I am not like that mom.  And I don't care what she does at her house or what her kids read.  It effects me in no way whatsoever.  And I guess we have entered the realm of our kids being exposed to things at school that are out of our control.

Who knew we'd start with lobbying against the NRA rather than learning cuss words???

And I guess when Ellie comes home and says "Soandso said that hunting is bad."  We'll just tell her that everyone has different opinions.

Ok, that's what I will tell her.  I can imagine her daddy will tell her to kick the kid in the knees and show them her rifle.  And he might even help her with her powerpoint presentation on "Why Hunting is Good and Being Vegan is Dumb".

But we're not closed minded.  Thank goodness for that.

***
I have to add some cute things the kids said this week because otherwise it may be forgotten into my distant memory.

One morning this week something was said about Jesus.  (And I really cannot remember what was said)  And Mason responded:  "Jesus?  I know him!  He's God's son!!"  Amen and A Men!

We watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" one night last week.  At the end, when the Whos get all their stuff back, Ellie looks at me and says "Jesus made that happen.  He did.  Because Christmas is about Jesus."  So evidently Jesus wanted the Whos to have their gifts and decorations.  She was very convinced of this fact.  But at least she (mostly) knows what Christmas is really about.  For that I am thankful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH! And remind me to have Ellie tell them all about Buford....