Thursday, December 2, 2010

{Merry Christmas!}

Ya'll get the privilege of being the first to receive that greeting from me this year.  Did you know I love Christmas?  Love it!  And I have finally gotten on the bandwagon of thinking that the Christmas season starts the day after Thanksgiving.  I mean, it's all so much fun, why not celebrate a little longer???  I am so excited about decorating the house.

In the spirit of Christmas and all the behavior management techniques it affords, we brought out the Elf on the Shelf for his second year in our household.  Do you know about the Elf?  He comes in a little gift package that happened to be delivered to my parents' house last year on Thanksgiving Day for Ellie and Mason.  In the package was a book, "The Elf on the Shelf", and the Elf himself.  The book explains that he is there to watch over things and report back to Santa.  Every night when the kids go to bed, he flies back to the north pole by way of "Christmas magic" and gives the Big Guy a report of the good and the bad.

This seems like a fun little idea, huh?  I mean kids certainly need MORE Christmas to go with all the other fluff, right?  Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking.  Do I not have enough stress without having to remember to move the damn Elf every night?

Then I rethought it.  My kids are only little once.  And with the way things are going, I honestly am not sure Ellie is going to believe in Santa and Elves for very long.  She has already informed me that she isn't completely buying this Elf thing.  She told me the second day that "He's just stuffed.  I don't see how he flies home."  To which I replied an indignant, "YOU THINK I WOULD LIE TO YOU???"

Does that make me a bad person?  I mean, it's a lie, right?  But it's a good lie.  Right?

Sometimes I am not sure if she just enjoys a good fantasy and plays along or if she really believes.  And I really don't remember having those thoughts until I was much older.  To her credit, I think she will at least play along for a good long while for Mason's (and possibly my) sake.

I somewhat expect Mason to get fed up with the Elf's reports and make the little guy mysteriously disappear.  Mason has entered the terrible threes.  His twos were actually a joy.  He's paying back now.  More on that later...But I do have to add, he is still the funniest kid I know.  This morning as we were walking into school he told me first he was galloping like a horse.  Then he started running and I said "Are you running like an antelope?"  He said "No!  I'm running like A CHILDREN!"

I was particularly pleased with my creativity regarding the Elf last night.  And I plan on making this Elf on the Shelf thing fun for myself this season.  (I know Brandon can't wait.)
Ellie is now convinced (and scared)that our toys come alive at night.  Mason was kind of miffed that Woody was in the Barbie Jeep.  

Next up:  A letter from Santa.  Oh and I'll be changing Biz's contact info in my phone to "Santa Claus" in case I need to text or call the Big Guy.  Merry Christmas, ya'll!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am really enjoying this "Elf on the Shelf" thing!! Good advise to cherish every moment of their childhood. It passes way too fast!! The good news is the next phase is just as wonderful!! We are truly blessed !!