Thursday, May 14, 2009

Boy Genius

I guess I am a bad blogger. I can't seem to find the time to keep up. Not that I don't want to blog. I certainly enjoy talking about myself and my family. Who doesn't, right? I just need a few more hours in the day.
I am happy to report that Mason is a genius. Ok, seriously...it hit me yesterday for the eleventy millionth time that the second child really gets the slight. Lately I have been thinking "well maybe Mason is just better with his motor development than Ellie was." Because, you see, when Ellie was 18 months old, I was ready to sign her up for toddler Jeopardy. She was (and still is) extremely bright. By 20 months, Ellie could spell her name and recognize the names of all her classmates. She knew her colors and was counting. But that's all really way above what a kid that age should do. So the fact that Mason wasn't doing that didn't concern me too much. On to yesterday...Ellie was counting in the car as she often does. And Mason started counting with her! She'd say 1-2...and he'd chime in 3 then she'd say 4 and he'd say 5! A genius!!! So here's where I feel guilty: How long has he been able to do this and I didn't know because I just didn't ask??? So you can be sure that drills will begin tonight on colors, numbers, shapes and letters. I kid!
Actually, Mason learns so much from having an older sister. And he is in the process of moving to a new classroom at school. He is moving to the "toddler room" where all the kids are between the ages of 18 months and 3 years. He is having a ball!
Ellie is doing really well. She is in constant limbo between tomboy and prissy pot. She gets so dirty at school that I think I might have to just throw her away and start over some days. But we painted her toes pink last night and she was THRILLED to wear flip flops today to show off her toes.
The house is coming along. I FINALLY settled on the kitchen design. It has been a stressful process. The kitchen is probably THE MOST important room to me in this house. I love to cook. I want plenty of prep space and I want it to be arranged well. The original design had space for the kitchen, breakfast area and a "keeping room" all in the same space. My plan was to have it all. I thought the keeping room would be a great space for comfortable seating and a tv. I envisioned kids doing homework while I cooked dinner and kept an eye on them. And you have to have a kitchen table, right? Well the Fields are joining the ranks of the new generation of bar eaters. We nixed the kitchen table! GASP! In the end, the keeping area was most important to me. When you entertain, everyone ends up in the kitchen, right??? I just think we will use it so much. But there just wasn't enough space to have it all without cramping it up and clogging doorways. We will have a nice bar and a dining room. And this way, we will hopefully use our dining room a little more. I'm happy with it and so is Brandon and that's what matters, right?
I do have new pics, but wouldn't you know I left the camera in the car. So I promise to update pictures later today.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

FINALLY! AN UPDATE! :) It cracks me up that I blog stalk you every day but I also email you a thousand times a week, too. Anyway, I was the exact SAME WAY with Alex when he showed me he knew all his letters at his 2nd birthday!! Where did he learn this!? I'm positive Mason is a genius like his big sister. :) And I agree with the keeping room/everyone ending up in the kitchen anyway. xoxoxo my sweet magnolia! :)