Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Deafening Silence

I am a spolied sleeper. I need a cool room. Preferably COLD. And I need some noise. I've used a white noise machine in the past but {reluctantly} gave it up to Ellie when she was a baby. Since we have window ACs now, we have that running all night in addition to a floor fan which gives ample noise. I don't think a cool niosy room is too much to ask. I didn't get that last night!
Around 7:45, it started storming and with a streak of lightening, our power went out. Great. I called the power company and waited entirely too long only to get a RUDE lady who told me that they had 14 outages and she really had no idea when they'd get to ours. SUPER GREAT! I have raised some noise addicted kids so my they are very light sleepers. But Mason was T I R E D. I put him in his bed and he went right to sleep. Around 8:45, we decided Ellie should really get to bed too and she was NOT excited. But she went. Brandon and I figured we'd better get on to bed because all signs pointed to a BAD night. I figured the kids wouldn't last much more than an hour or so if the power stayed off and the house stayed so so so quiet.
We went to bed and it was HOT. And quiet. So quiet it was loud. And Brandon went right to sleep and SNORED! I just laid there. I think I had just fallen asleep when Mason started crying. I think it was about 11 {See I'm not sure what time it was since the power was out!} Poor thing was coughing his head off. I think he was hot. He DID NOT want to be held. He did not want to be in his bed. AWESOME! I bounced, rocked, patted, walked, went on the front porch {it was NOT cooler out there FYI} and finally came back in and tried rocking some more. Then I prayed. "God PLEASE let the power come back on. We all need to sleep." POOF the power came on! {I am totally serious about this!}
Since the power went off when our household was in full swing EVERYTHING came on: TV, lamps, lights, everything. Brandon jumped up and ran around turning things off and turning all the glorious window AC's ON. It took Mason about 20 minutes to settle down and cool off and I was able to put him back in bed. I was so wound up from it all that I actually had trouble getting back to sleep. But that 5:45 alarm came very early. So thanks God! I really appreciate your help in getting the power back on!

1 comment:

Nana said...

Thanks for the reminder of where the "Power" really comes from. Quiet and hot...doesn't sound good to me !!