Wednesday, March 10, 2010

{Someone Please Call Emily Post}

So I have a little etiquette question.  Say, just for a minute, that someone is having a baby shower.  And say that on the guest list for the baby shower there is a good friend of the mother to be who is a part of a couple.  And say for a minute that the couple happens to be two women.  Got that all straight?
How do you address that invite?  Miss Priss Hootyhotty and Guest?  Or just Miss Priss Hootyhotty.  I mean, I didn't invite anyone's husband.  Well, I wouldn't.  If I were hosting a shower.  Although I know Miss Hootyhotty's significant other would be more interested than anyone's husband would be in sitting around and ooing and aahhing over onesies and burp clothes.
And I also know all the guests at a shower would be way more comfortable with Miss Hootyhotty's significant other being there than having anyone's husband.  'Cause husbands at Baby Shower Brunches are weird, right???
So here's a conversation that actually happened to this girl I know today:
Girl I Know:  (answering phone while checking out at a certain very large chain store that rhymes with Falltart.  And waiting on someone to do a price check on some Burt's Bees Lip Balm) Hello?


SusieQ:  Hi Girl I Know.  It's SusieQ.  I wanted to let you know I will be able to come to the shower.
Girl I Know:  Oh good!  Hey, do you happen to know if....um....Oh my why can't I  think of her name??? SusieQ:  MissHootyHotty?
Girl I Know:  YES!  MissHootyhotty!  Is she going to be able to come?
SusieQ:  Yes, I do think she will be in town.
Girl I Know:  Ok, well does she still have her, um...girlfriend?
SusieQ:  Yes, she does.
Girl I Know:  OK, well I forgot to put her (the girlfriend) name on the invite but will you please tell Miss Hootyhotty that she is more than welcome to bring her?
SusieQ:  Sure!  I'll tell her.
Girl I Know;  Ok, thanks!  We'll see you next weekend!
SusieQ:  OK, Bye!


The Girl I Know told me that it was a weird conversation to have.  She said that first off, she is a ditz and can't ever remember things, like people's names, when she needs to and she feels like a spaz most of the time.  She's been concentrating really hard on wording invitations correctly and getting all the china and silver polished and ready.  She's even been looking for some nice linen napkins.  And she has her monogrammed table runner ironed and ready to go.  So trying to consider how to include the significant other of one of the guests didn't really ever enter her mind.

I told her I thought Emily Post should add a section to her new book.  Emily, if you are reading, call me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Jennifer,
You may tell "The Girl You Know" that Miss Post thinks she handled that " delicate" situation very well. It is always better to let someone else deliver the message...and she followed that rule. Perfect !! I consulted my "staff" and my Senior Advisor said he thinks it is all "straight" now...no pun intended!!

Laura said...

I must say that I enjoyed this post...probably a little too much after the week I've had. That Girl You Know sure is a hoot! I think she and I would get along just great, don't you?