Wednesday, September 1, 2010

{Decisions}

Add caption

Since we started kindergarten, there have been a lot of things that have changed.  We have much busier mornings.  Ellie has way less free time (I hate this the most for her) because we get home later and we have homework.

I try to plan ahead.  I pack everything in her lunch that I can the night before and plan the other things I will put in.  I fix the coffee so I can just turn it on.  (Yes, I have become a coffee drinker...another post)  And then there are the dreaded decisions about what to wear...

Our BIGGEST fights have been over what she will wear.  I pick something, something I even pick TWO outfits and give her a choice, and it is never what she wants.

So in a lightbulb moment the weekend before school started, I came up with a plan:

On Sunday evening, we go to her room and we pick 5 OR 6 outfits (in case she feels she needs an option) for the week.  I cleaned off a shelf in her closet and that shelf is dedicated to her weekly clothes.  In the mornings, I tell her to go pick her outfit for the day.  I can rest assured that all outfits have been previously approved by management and she feels like she has gobs of choices.

This absolutely and completely WORKS FOR ME.

Now, if ya'll can figure out a way I can A. get her to go to bed earlier and B. NOT roll over and whine "It is too hard for me to wake up."  Please enlighten me.

***
Visit We are THAT Family for other great tips!


3 comments:

Lori said...

That's a really great idea! I can only imagine I would have had to do something similar with my dd when she was that age...thank God I homeschooled back then. Now, she is 13 and though she still needs approval, she does fairly well at getting ready...only needs a little prodding!

Penny said...

Very clever!

The way I've done it is to hang all clothes in outfits in the closet at kid level. Shirt, pants, and underwear are all on a hanger together and he can pick any outfit that is weather appropriate. I've done this for over a year and it works really well for him! Plus, I always know that he matches, and he he feels like he's in control.

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea. I'm storing it away.

OK, this is so simple but it REALLY worked for me. From a very young age, I remember my mom telling a "bedtime story" and she would talk me into thinking about morning. What it was like when she would come in, open the shutters, turn on my light, and start waking me up. She would remind me over and over to think about how TIRED I was during that process. And wouldn't it be nice if I just went to sleep earlier? I don't know how she did it, really, but she got me to focus on thinking about how tired I was in the morning. Um, good luck with that.

Holly-> no help.