Wednesday, September 22, 2010

{Transportation}

I had to have some work done on my truck last week so I needed to drive Brandon's car.  I kind of cringed at the thought.  Brandon bought his car as a cheap, good gas mileage car.  It fits those criterion.  But Brandon has treated it like a farm truck and it was nas. tay.

I decided that driving such a filthy car would put me in a bad mood and Brandon deserved to have a cleaner car.  Plus I didn't want to drive it in that condition so Biz and I set out to clean it up.

I judged, ya'll.  I judged a lot.  HOW could anyone get a car so dirty?  And remember Biz and I were working together so it wasn't pretty conversation.  But we got the job done.

Then Biz went car shopping.  She bought a minivan.  Yes she did.

Now I have said a lot of bad things about minivans, but I take them all back!  I swooned.  It's just so dang kid friendly.  And has leather.  And a DVD player.  And headphones.  And doors that open AND CLOSE automatically.

I envied.  I am ashamed of how much I envied.  I envied A LOT.  I was in a bad place.  A place where I was thinking how having a car payment wouldn't be so bad.  I mentioned the doors, right?  And the kid friendliness?

It was a bad time in my life and I am not proud.

And then I started thinking.  First I thought "HOW could my own sister do this to me?  How could she one up me like this?  WHO does she think she is with her high falootin' minivan???"  And then I kind of came to my senses.

For starters, while Biz has a very nice abode, it is certainly not her dream home.  It's small.  And she only has one bathroom.  And I have four.

So I thought "Hmm, I bet she wishes she had one of my bathrooms.  Or my tub.  Ok, so maybe I don't have it so bad."

And if I am being honest, because I think honesty is the best policy, I have a really nice truck.  It's ginormous and four wheel drive and shiny.  And dependable.  And paid for.

But I started looking closely at it and I had to admit that my truck was pretty dirty. We spend a total of AT LEAST an hour and a half a day in my truck.  My kids eat in my truck. It gets pretty gross.

I decided that I too deserved a clean truck.

Now, once in a while, I run it through the car wash and vaccuum it out.  And sometimes I try to wipe everything down.  But this obviously hasn't been enough.

Remember how I judged?  I was paid back.  Holy moly.

I have three rows of seats.  The middle seats flip up and I can get underneath them.  Thank the good Lord.  That's all I can say.  The stuff I found under those seats?  Well, it's best if we don't talk about it.

The dirtiest spot was Mason's.  There were crumbs and spills and stickiness and just totally and complete nastiness.  And petrified fruit snacks.

But now my truck is clean clean clean. It made it drive better.  And smell better.  So when my financial advisor decides it's time to get a minivan, I'm all ready to sell!

It's pretty awesome.

No comments: