Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DUH, MAMA!

Ellie has a great imagination. Around 2 years old, she started telling me stories about Bob, her baby's daddy. I am not making this up. I am just not that clever! The stories continue. Daily. I enjoy them so much. I really need to write them down. I won't share them here because she is shy about Bob and I don't want to betray her trust in me. But it is some extremely entertaining stuff!
Ellie has also taken up a great affinity lately for her baby dolls. She has a room full of dolls, but like any little girl, she has some favorites. Bitty is an American Girl doll that my Aunt Susan gave Ellie for Christmas a couple of years ago. She is a very nice doll and Ellie really loves her. Bitty was THE baby for quite some time. She has moved on a little. Actually, it seems Ellie's family has grown. Bitty is more of a toddler now and Itty is the new baby. Itty is a doll that my dad's cousin gave Ellie when she was about a year old. She is a surprising choice for favorite. She's small and her body is filled with beans. She's very floppy and she just doesn't seem like a prime doll choice by my standards. But who am I to say, right???
Itty goes everywhere with us. Ellie has wised up to the fact that Mama is doing good to get her and Mason home from school every day, MUCH LESS any toys we have brought from home. {We've had more than one doll or stuffed animal spend the weekend at school.} Most days Itty rides to school and waits in the car for us.
Monday, me and the kids went straight to Biz's so I could put up the corn she brought me from Alabama {Thanks Biz!} and Biz could watch the kiddos while the electrician {AKA Brandon} did some work. Biz played, fed and bathed the babes while I scraped...err cut corn off the cob. {JOY of all JOYS} Itty joined us. I finished up the corn and we headed home {a bit late} for bed. I inform Ellie it's time for bed and she gets night-night and asks for Itty. YIKES. Itty got left at Biz's. Oh. My. Word. Heartbreak and panic ensued. I felt worse than terrible. But was it really worth driving all the way back over to Biz's when we were already 30 minutes late for bed???
I started trying to find a substitute. Surely Bitty will do? Nope. How about Sandy? Nope. Lion? Pig? Bear? Bunny? Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. She finally settled on Toby, a little black and white dog that was the favorite for quite some time back in 2007. But I felt bad. She told me Itty doesn't sleep well when she's not with her. And Biz doesn't know what she likes! I promised to call Biz to be sure she knew Itty was there and be sure Biz let Itty sleep with her.
Itty joined us for the trip to school this morning in her car seat. After a few minutes in the car, Ellie announced that she was getting Itty out of her carseat to sit with her. OK, so Monday night, Itty had preferences and I almost drove over to my sister's to get a doll for fear the doll wouldn't sleep well. I feel this is an obvious question and I ask "What will the police do if they see her out of her seat." Ellie responded "Itty is not real! I just pretend she is!" OH. Well excuuuussseee me! Oh how I love that precious imagination!

2 comments:

Nana said...

A "little girl" with a vivid imagination is a great source of joy and laughter!! What a treat that I get to experience it "again" !!

Desiree said...

Ellie is so cute and far too smart for her own good!! I hope Itty doesn't manage to wander off anymore!!